Friday, August 04, 2006

The Meters - Zony Mash (Josie 1024)


Zony Mash

Hey folks, it's me. I'm just popping in here to lay this one on ya... I saw The Meters last night in NYC and they were even better than they were in November... THEY BLEW ME AWAY!! Absolutely UNREAL, man... da FONK was IN DA HOUSE!
I'm not gonna go into all the facts and figures here (you can read all about 'em in our previous Meters and Poppa Funk posts), suffice it to say that it just doesn't get much better than this. These four New Orleans legends back out there funkin' it up is something you don't want to miss.

Today's selection, the B side of A Message From The Meters, was released in 1970, just before Josie went out of business. Both sides of the single were 'non-album' cuts, and were unavailable for like 30 years until Rhino put out the excellent Funkify Your Life set, and good ol' Sundazed put together a collection of b sides and rarities called (what else?) Zony Mash. Does it cook, or what? They still sound like this... very cool.

That you can go see THIS band play again, the band behind so much great Sansu Soul... the guys that Mick Jagger called "the best motherf@#king band on the planet" (for once I actually agree with him), is a rare opportunity that won't last forever.

They'll be playing the Newport Folk Festival this Sunday, August 6th and the Hollywood Bowl on August 16th.

Go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Holladown Productions said...

the Meters rule the land.
Here's to many more years of these guys!

Thanks for post such great music here.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Kid Charlemagne said...

The last time The Meters came thru town, not one of the newspapers had a review of the show. Once again they missed a great time. I posted about this on my blog and you kindly noted the post and agreed it was a great show. This past show was even better. As I said to my friend that nite, "The bottom is the floor" as you felt George's bass pumping thru the floor boards.

On the other hand, it is strange that The Meters only sold 900 tix for the show and gave away the balance of 1100 tix for free so as to not have played before an empty house. I wished they did not do that b/c halfway thru the show, those who justed showed up losted interest and just gab,gab, gab while those in know just grooved, grooved, grooved.

BabyRph

12:09 PM  
Blogger Red Kelly said...

Baby -

I hear ya on the NY newspapers dropping the ball... but, we already know how myopic and silly they are.

I must confess that the bride & I were among the 'freebies' this time around... I had totally zoned on the fact that they were in town, actually, and when they offered me the tickets via e-mail, we went for it... I had no idea they gave away so many! (I guarantee you it was more to pump up the take at the bar than anything else, you know those $7 Heinekens add up...)

We planted ourselves in front of Art and I never actually noticed the boneheads yakkin' away behind us.

You can lead a horse to water, man...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

Red,
I am reminded of the quotes:
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Or, you know, "When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around."

Anyway, that the Meters have reunited and are kicking serious funk in these times is quite a blessing. They truly are Uptown Rulers - and downtown, too.

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Red, i am a soul singer up here in Boston. I stumbled upon your site while looking for O.V. Wright lyrics. Wow! This is a killer blog. Thank you so much for all of this hard work. I sing in a group called "The Soul Band" and we've just released a record of soul covers. If you get a chance , check us out. http://cdbaby.com/cd/soulband
Sorry for posting this link here. I couldn't see any email link. Drop me a line from our webpage if you'd like.
Thanks again, Tim Pike

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home